Bridges dating tweed heads
Coolangatta Centaur Memorial and Walk of Remembrance It is a little known fact that the Japanese Navy, in the shape of submarines, were very active off the Queensland and the Australian coasts.
A total of forty-one Allied and Australian Naval and Merchant ships were sunk off the coast during World War II.
The Tweed River slowly meanders through the valley before discharging into the Pacific Ocean at Tweed Heads.
On the northern side of the river's estuary is a high remnant volcanic headland known as Point Danger and the southern headland is the northern tip of Fingal Head.
By any conventional measure the Captain Cook Memorial Lighthouse, which dates from 1971, looks nothing like a lighthouse.
Constructed as four concrete columns - each marked with the major points of the compass - and a bronze sculpture, it looks more like a monument although it is operated by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, is elevated 45 metres above sea level (20 metres above ground), and can be seen 18 nautical miles out to sea.
It is 5 metres above sea-level and is recognised as the southern extremity of the Gold Coast.
^ TOP The explorer and surveyor John Oxley reached the estuary in 1823.
It has become known as "Australia's Green Cauldron".
This section of the river is littered with small islands until it opens out into Terranora Broadwater.
On the western shore of the Broadwater is Bingham Bay which is edged by a walking/cycling track accessible off both Scenic Drive and Peninsula Drive.
His exploration party took shelter during a storm in the lee of a small island off Fingal Head which Oxley named Turtle Island and which is now known as Cook Island.
He named the river after the Tweed River which separates northern England from Scotland.